It doesn’t matter what age you are, true beauty is a soul & heart thing! The soul is ageless. It’s where you will find your fountain of youth. & when you do things YOU enjoy & ditch things you’re only doing to make others happy, you will start to feel that oh, so feel-good state of well-being.
The first thing you will notice is that you will start to smile again! An honest to goodness smile that comes up all the way from your soul to your face & hey! doesn’t joy look beautiful on a woman?! Yup! It sure does x
One thing I’m thinking of doing that is totally new to me, is to join the local kayaking club. My neighbour, in her late sixties, asked me a few weeks ago if I’d like to come along to the club! As I’m doing an arm work-out at the moment, I thought, now there’s just the thing to keep my arms nice & taut! I’ll give it a try & if I enjoy doing it, bonus! then I’ll keep on kayaking!I like the fact, too, that kayaking will be a new challenge for me & thus, I’ll be stepping out of my comfort zone &, that’s always a good thing!
What goals, new interests are you going to take up? I’ve come up with some ideas I like & some I won’t pursue but maybe you will!
- Join a book club. Or, better yet, create your own book club meet-up. You’ll make new gal pals of all ages &, sharing an in-depth discussion about a book you’ve all read will increase your appreciation about the way other people think as you probe deep into the story plot, much like mining for gems!
- Do you like to paint or draw? or write poetry? Join a class or create one. Put an ad in the local paper inviting other people for tea & cake or a glass of red, once a month, while you all paint, write or draw, together. It doesn’t have to be a solitary thing but it can be, it’s up to YOU x
- Grab the sax, pull out the old guitar, take up the flute or maybe the harp? So many of you are musical, if its been a long time, go play!
- Hiking is great, so good for your health & emotional well-being, too! Prepare a little backpack picnic & don’t forget the wine!
- Dance! Just put the music on that makes your feet tap & grab your man or a group of friends & rock & roll!
- Like to sing? Be brave & go street perform!
- Start a prayer group. Pray for each other & think of ways you can help others.
- Gather. Gather. GATHER together, you & your tribe. Prepare a meal together & share your hearts.
Or, you can fall in love & have regular date nights x
Remember…focus on something YOU enjoy doing! Invite like-minded ones along, too, if you like!
When you wear that heady scent of satisfaction & find fulfilment in what you like & enjoy doing, you’ll have stirred the waters in that fountain of youth which is found in your soul.
Go do interesting things & then ‘nourish your flourish!’
Know any older women midlife & beyond, like that? Helen Mirren, 96-year-old, fashion icon, Iris Apfel, comes to mind and let’s, not forget Twiggy, at 65, she became L’oreal’s Ambassador for 2015! &, one of my absolute favs! The ever elegant & astonishingly beautiful, Carmen Dell’Orefice, at 87, she is a statement of hope & belief that ‘age cannot wither a woman.’ As you can see below. (images c/o Getty Images & Pinterest)
A woman of truly great poise. I see a deep fragility beautifully combined with a resolute strength, I hear it whisper…’Age cannot wither me!’
At 52, I can’t help but feel stirred on to greater things, productivity, a certain bold ‘carpe diem’ takes hold of me & I am strongly touched & motivated by their examples. It means I don’t have to be a model, actress or fashion icon but it gives me a greater incentive to ‘Go for it GIRL!’ & keep moving forward with my projects.
‘Older women,’ will be a term of the past one day, we will simply be women. Thanks to these amazing ‘pioneers’ of hope & bold courage, for they are extracting that word ‘old’ & saying: ‘be done with it!’
Go THEM! Go YOU! Go US!
I’m about to Spring clean my wardrobe. Not an easy task, by any means! Last year, while away in Tasmania, Australia, I bought lots of fab clothes & shoes! It was Spring in Tasmania but a cold, cloudy one.
As I live in the SW of France, I know I’m guaranteed a lovely, warm Spring season, & I had that in mind when I went shopping “down under.” Well, Spring is nearly upon us, here, in France, and, it’s time to pack my Winter clothes away!
Firstly, I’ll start preparing my shoe robe. In Spring, I like to wear flats with cigarette pants (trousers) & a nice breezy top. I like casual elegance & am a huge fan of leopard print flats, they never fail to add a hint of sophisticated oomph! to any outfit. I like, too, funky shoes for faded pale blue jeans & a white shirt, not a stiff & starchy one but again, I’m always going for a “comfy” elegance. after all, Spring can get quite hot in France!
Next… Spring invites white dresses, light frocks & skirts! It’s a fun season & you can go nuts!!! on throwing things together to make gorgeous, eclectic ensembles! Jeans, shabby chic with white always looks amazing & such a timeless look, too! Add some fab accessories, a big lemon bangle & large hoops earrings or something I love; a huge turquoise necklace & “voila!” you’re def rockin’ & a-rollin’ to the beat of Spring!
I’m 52. I encourage you if you are an older woman to throw your two digit number out the window & simply BE! if you like it, wear it. You’re an original. It’s a fact. Love it.
Get ready to welcome in the cheery season of Spring with a “spring” in your step & your wardrobe x